Thursday, October 3, 2013

Change


After living in Chicago for the past 8 years I never thought I would see the day that I would be moving back to the suburbs.  And not just THE suburbs, but right next door to the very suburb I grew up in!
Moving to the city was one of the biggest and best decisions I have ever made.  Being there truly made me who I am today and that is something I am very proud of.  But its funny how life works out.  One day we (my fiance and I) are looking for condos in Humbolt Park, dreaming of being close to the actual park where we can walk the dogs and avoid crack dealers.  And the next day, quite literally, we find our dream home in Glen Ellyn of all places.  And now I dream of grilling on our deck and having a peaceful meal outside with our dogs in a fenced in yard.  It’s amazing how dreams can change so rapidly.  But these new dreams come with some nightmares.  And not the nightmares you get in the city.  You get used to worrying about being shot or potentially male rapped while walking home.  I wake up in cold sweats now with thoughts of going to Costco followed by lunch at Chilis but then having to rush home because I spilled special sauce on my Dockers.  Does a pastel colored polo shirt and deck shoes come with the purchase of a new home in the suburbs?
Change is something I never feared and always embraced and for my first time I have fear for a change.  But when I sit down and think about this change, I end up with a smile on my face.  After 14 years in the construction business I have never had the opportunity to renovate my own home.  The smile I have put on homeowners faces for years is now on mine.  I finally get to make a home, my home.  And I get to share that home with an amazing women that lets me think I get to remodel things the way I want.  Together we are going to make her design dreams come true, my remodeling dreams come true and ZERO of our nightmares come true.
Change.  It’s not so bad.  When it comes with a yard and a garage.

2 comments:

  1. I grew up in Chicago. After my truck being broken into 27 times in one year, I flipped out and bought a house in Gilbert Az. My very first night in that house, I was woke by a rooster crowing, then the donkey's started their symphony. Startled and starving, I decided to walk to the grocery store that I saw on my way in. As I'm walking down Lindsey rd. I'm passed up by a girl on a horse. I made it 6 years there, and been back here for 5. Not a day goes by that I don't miss that tranquility

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to enjoy reading your blog's. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete